Thursday, February 3, 2011

Day 03- A book you've read that changed your views on something


I will venture to say that in every phase of my life I've encountered a book (fiction and/or non-fiction) that changed my views on something. I remember my aunt giving me Sistah Souljah's first book, "No Disrespect" and thinking to myself after reading it, "there's no way I should be reading this book!" lol... needless to say I knew TOO MUCH for my own good anyway and that book didn't help the cause. Not that it changed my views, it was just a funny story I wanted to share *shruggage*

In all honesty, the novel that changed my views on religion and life was William P. Young's "The Shack". I moved to Houston in '08 and worked diligently on my career, my relationship with myself and my relationship with God. I felt, that for so long, I was concerned with other people and in turn neglected things that mattered! The truth, to me, is that one's intrapersonal communication and communication with God directly influences how he or she relates to outsiders (which is called interpersonal communication)! Hate yourself? You'll surely hate others! Hate God? You'll surely hate others! SIMPLE! ('hate' is interchangeable. Try 'love')

Anyway, while working with the Rockets and Texans I happened upon two very spiritual individuals. One was a minister that just needed something to do when she wasn't occupied and the other was a guy that volunteered heavily with his church. One day while discussing "life" with the minister she raved on and on about this novel and of course was beyond delighted to bring it to me the next day. I happened to be reading it while at work when the gentleman I worked with stopped in delight saying he handed it out in his Christian summer camp. We chatted for hours about the novel! I can not begin to explain how awesome it is! I alternately laughed, cried and shrieked in horror while shuffling through each chapter.

I don't want to give the novel away entirely, but I will say this: growing up in the C.M.E. church I was taught heavily about God's wrath and never enough about his grace. Reading this novel made me feel less guilty about believing in all paths to heaven. I was never a fan of facets or denominations, especially since in HS I had great friends that practiced the Muslim and Buddhist faith. I learned quickly that there was "bad" in every race/religion, those two friends NEVER steered me wrong or crossed me, I can't say the same about my Christian friends. God loves us all, this I knew, but something about that novel gave me a refreshing outlook. I promised myself I would read it once a year, needless to say I've read it twice and am due for another read! **scribbles on to-do list**

I hope that explanation was sufficient!

Peace & Blessings...

Nina B.

2 comments:

  1. Definitely! I think I find something new every time I read it; great stocking stuffer!

    ReplyDelete