Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Oak Tree vs. Ivy Vines


I really do not want this blog to be my gibberish, it's intended to display my inspirations and creative writing skills. There will occasionally be, however, discussions that inspire my outlook and I'll gladly post them. M.A.N. is a person that is always eager to show me myself (good, bad and ugly) any time I ask or even when I don't want to hear it; "mirror" is what we fondly call one another. I had a discussion with M.A.N. yesterday about growth and evolution spawned from a relationship with someone and it really made me think some things over about myself.

M.A.N.: So why do you think you liked that person so much?
Me: Because I thought he could help me grow.
M.A.N.:
Why do you always want someone to help you grow and are not willing to help someone else grow?
Me: I think I help people grow!
So in the two years you've known me I haven't helped you grow?
M.A.N.: You have helped me point out the flaws in my design through watching you and interacting with each other but learning something new, no.
Me: *shrug* Sorry
(This is me being mad. Yes, at 26 I throw tantrums.)
Me: Well I think that's still a form of growth! Just because I didn't help you learn something new does not mean you did not grow. Just a different form of growth.
M.A.N.: I can agree with that.

Now, M.A.N. saying he agrees is probably more him not wanting to be bothered with arguing me up and down. lol I say Ivy Vines can be just as powerful as an Oak Tree in some regards. Today M.A.N. is trying to tell me that helping others become an Oak Tree "involves [me] putting [myself] second at times...and it seems to only work on [my] time without concern for what others have going on..." As intuitive as I am, I enjoy helping people tap into the energy they already have; what has yet to be discovered. There's beauty in that, beauty in recognizing the inner wealth and potential someone already has and lifting it out of them. This is probably a more humble assistance in growth, the growth that generally goes unnoticed. I'm sincerely OK with that, but maybe I need to learn a new way to pursue growth in any relationship to help people become an Oak Tree?

One of my favorite quotes is by
Youssou N'dour "People need to see that, far from being an obstacle, the world's diversity of languages and religions and traditions is a great treasure, affording us precious opportunities to recognize ourselves in others." I think helping others reach a new level internally somehow helps me do the same. Maybe I should try a less selfish approach? And here I thought I was being helpful! Aw phooey!

2 comments:

  1. You know, I run into these issues with a few of my close friends. The friendship really has matured over the years but just as M.A.N. said, you usually grow from others' misguided way of life.

    You can usually tell if someone has your best interest at heart and is going to be willing to teach you new things and help you grow almost immediately. They give, give and give until they can't give anymore. Without as much as an ask. The problem is, when they give in such a way that differs from what you give the effort is not equatable to them.

    Example, Friend1 needs help financially. Needs $300 to make a car payment before repossesion. Friend2 gives. Friend2 says, "I'm always giving. This friendship is one-sided" . . . in the same breath Friend2 says, "I need you to call me and talk to me for an hour on this drive so I stay awake, can you do that?" Friend1 calls. How lopsided is that? (JUST AN EXAMPLE OF WHAT I WAS SAYING)

    Growth doesn't come in the form of you making me see my inconsistencies . . . it comes in the form of you pointing them out and then showing me how to get past them.

    http://eveningepiphanies.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can agree with that. However, I genuinely help others in what can be seem as very lopsided... but I don't care. If I know the person would do the same for me if they could, I'm good, and generally I can read well through bull.

    Regarding your last statement, about "showing me how to get past them", in the end growth has to be wanted. I can't show you how to get past your flaws if you are not willing to learn.

    ReplyDelete