Wednesday, May 4, 2011

"THIS IS NOT THE 60's!"

I woke up this morning with a brain full of "words I never said". A discussion with a loved one last night about America's freedom of speech, which he feels is as loose as a ho-ho-ho, lead to the disclosure of my semi-radical views. (I believe freedom is subjective, but that alone is an entirely different discussion) His response to my views? "This ain't the 60s!!!" After trying to discuss how being radical is still needed today, to no avail, I politely removed myself from the phone conversation. Now, now…I can hear you say, "You did what? The Nina I know is not a quitter! Why didn't you give him a piece (peace) of your mind?" When I sat in silence and broke down all the reasons why I didn't, the bottom line is that I was hurt, confused and baffled.

Check the positive:
Let's just be clear, to know me is to understand that I tend to have a pro-black point of view. Not racist, but pro-black; further more I'm very pro-black woman. My idea is that until the black woman is lifted, many other issues will continue to occur. See Stokely Carmichael: "Why are we sent to defend our Motherland but taught not to defend our Mothers?" and another quote on a t-shirt I've had since college that says something to the effect of "Wise is he that understands the complete freedom of a race depends on the freedom of its women." This logic can easily be debated, just know that it's my conclusion after all of the reading I've done, discussions I've had and things I've experienced as an open, educated and well-traveled African American Woman. I've rocked a fade, a fro and corn rows. I protested against the Chief in college and was VERY active in the community (receiving the community service award), something I continue to this day and plan on doing more of. This is me, I embrace change and allow my mentality to expand to encompass many positive and progressive views.

Check the Affirmative:
Many do not know that I come from a family of radicals. On my mother and father's side, my ancestors (who worked hard and paid for their freedom) fought in the civil war to free their family members. Fast forward to my grandmother's family, the Bufords, who were a well respected family in Arkansas. While they were not well-off, the Bufords owned and worked their land, land that my family still owns today, and didn't take crap from anyone (black or white). The stories that surround the violent encounters and opposition they faced for being so independent as Blacks are endless. Fast forward to my uncles that were a part of the Black Panther, or other family members that briefly joined the NOI, not because they didn't know who they were, but because they wanted social change. The church I called home for so many years, was lead by a pastor that marched with Dr. King. I was raised, and am still advised, by parents that voice their opinions in boardrooms, teach in less fortunate communities when they can teach in the more well-to-do suburbs, adopt children to raise them in a safe and loved environment, or as CPD are forced to do desk jobs because they love their job but refuse to be corrupt. This is only a small part of my lineage, but I own it and respect it.

Things I should have said:
I am positive these things do not readily show in my personality upon first encounter. Radical, by definition, is a person that advocates thorough or complete political or social change. While no one in my family sits on the political edge, I was raised by people that push the social envelope. Not just for their family, but for Blacks, their community and humanity as a whole. I will not and can not be anything else. My children will observe, learn, respect and take responsibility for their legacy. No, it is not the 60's, but the -isms do exist: Racism. Classicism. Hylicism. Immoralism. Pessimism. Sexism...and the list goes on. I will teach my children to learn and understand all things, with the intention to embrace what is of positivity and reject that which is negative. They, like me, will practice Agapism: ethics of love! One of my favorite quotes by Youssou N'dour states: People need to see that, far from being an obstacle, the world's diversity of languages and religions and traditions is a great treasure, affording us precious opportunities to recognize ourselves in others. While I hope I didn’t offend anyone, the reality is that this is ME.
THIS IS MY LINEAGE. I respect you and yours; so I ask the same in
return.

Stay mentally and spiritually open, embrace change and stay read up!

Peace...

Nina B.

5 comments:

  1. A friend of mine will not post a comment, but this was his response (well said): We went to Whitney young, and HF and MP and then U of I and UMich and UChicago and then on to grad school...we live in HydePark, and Bronzeville and Kenwood and we keep it real though...we are on email lists and attend fundraisers and rock our hair natural and buy shea butter from the African festivals...we listen to dwele and raphael saadiq and we can speak consciously yet still be unconscious when we are in front of our white bosses....but we are lost. The opposite of love isn't hate its indifference that's what we suffer from because we act like we care but most of us really don't. We are simple people with complexity complexes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe the indifference comes from the distance that we have placed between us and the issues that blacks are still facing as a people. Some of us have went go to college, started a career, purchase homes in nice communities, and other races invite us into their homes, I guess you can say that some of us have “moved on up” and the daily issues that some blacks deal with are none existent to others, or so we would like to believe. In the 50’s and 60’s it was hard for anyone to be ignorant to the issues being faced by blacks because it was around you every day and was virtually impossible to ignore, everybody was dealing with it and everybody wanted change. Today the acts against us are not as blatant or rather strategic, whether it is hitting a glass ceiling at work or a certain community not getting funding needed for education or certain programs. Since the acts are not as outward as they were in the past it is not on the forefront of many of our minds as it were in the past.

    Much of our indifference comes from the “BELIEF” that we have solved the issues of freedom, respect, dignity, as well as economic and social inequality that we dealt with in the 50’s and 60’s or at least we have achieved a level of progress that we can live with. However I think some of it just comes from looking out for self and wanting to be accepted by the new community in which we live, I believe the part of being unconscious around our white bosses stems from desire to be accepted as opposed to standing up for certain beliefs or going against the grain, it is just easier sometimes to conform. It really isn’t that we don’t care but for some they don’t want to disturb the peace or acceptance that they have created with their white cohorts by being outspoken about issues faced in the black communities. For others we just don’t have the time (or choose not to make the time) as we have other priorities to take care of first such as work, kids, events for work, events for family members, taking care of the household etc. I am one of those people that always said that I don’t have the time but now I am positive that I choose not to make the time as I never knew how I would find time to go back to school to get my MBA but somehow after I signed up for classes I miraculously found the time, now that I am done with school I have found something else to fill the time other than be active in the community which I have a cognitive desire to do but just have never put it into action (because of time). At the same time I guess it all good because if I don’t do it somebody else will right? Then again I guess that mentality is part of the problem.


    The percentage of us that are still experiencing some of these issues on a daily basis is far less than there were back in the 60’s therefore the momentum behind the movement is not as strong as it was in that era, as a result the energy that should be derived from such a movement is not enough to continue to attract enough people to reinforce the cause. I guess if there is anything positive to gain out of the increase in distance between each generation ability to relate to the 60’s and the events prior is that the newer generation’s belief in some of these ism’s are becoming less and less as they are learning to be more accepting of those that are different than them whether it is racially, socially, or economically speaking. However I do believe in the importance of history for all races and it is important to have a true understanding of it in order to have a true understanding of your/our path. With that being said the ism’s mentioned in the original post will still be around for a very long time, some of them existed back when Jesus walked the earth and they will exist after my time. Although there has been more than substantial progress in the issues once faced it should still be a major concern for us all as they still do exist.

    Just my interpretation of the situation…..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both sides of the argument mentioned in the first paragraph are necessary in my option. Its extremely important to be both radical and cognisant of "what time it is" or what year it is- for that matter. Collectively I would argue that we can't help but to be lost, we are continually striped of our values, families, norms and culture. Hip-hop, or neosoul as our culture/ lifestyles have been transformed into a commodity to generate millions and further enslave our people- as the imperial ideologies continue. Win/win. Thanks to the media conglomerates we went from "get free or die trying" to.. i'm guessing you now the rest. This is how the people who could "care-less" are able to intermingle, "fake space" is created. The same way a rapper can make a video boosting about having an expensive chain or whatever, only he knows if he really owns it. There is room for these type of people because what starts out as authentic feelings, is later packaged and put on the shelf. This space can always be preserved because only the "man in the mirror" truly knows when 'self' is bullshitting. That requires integrity. However its difficult to explain integrity to the dude that grew up poor watching his pimping ass father, and his hoeing ass mother. As we all know, the same person who is responsible for 'packaging' hip-hop is the same person responsible for your family being pimps, hoes, junkies, and ex-cons. When you consider that this SAME person also signs your check and owns everything around you- it only makes sense to add strategy to your actions.

    Being strategic is key, I agree that actions of oppression are not blatant anymore (generally specking), so neither should the conscious black person's actions (generally specking- there is a time and place for everything). However, these issues are right in our face, even if you have been blessed enough to enjoy a better neighborhood. Their right where you left them, waiting for you as soon and you visit relatives. I don't think we believe the issues are gone, I just think we allow money to pacify our plight. Its nothing wrong with making money and going up the ladder, money is your defense (biblical). Sure we need our bosses/ customers to sign off on our checks, but in the back our mind I don't think we should really care about their approval. Thats keeping it G, that's carrying on the sprit of brother Carmichael. Carrying on the spirit is different for everyone, everyone has their own part to play- only you know.

    I believe we have to constantly push for more while rejecting the elitist label. The black educated group described in the comments reminds me of the song "yo-yo" little brother- phonte's verse. I think the "indifference piece" that we suffer from is centered around a much bigger issue. The bible states that HIS people will suffer for a lack of knowledge. The bible specks of this particular people being punished for transgression against his instructions. Its human nature is to gravitate towards the group- some where to belong. We all have the need to belong, some are able to fight this urge and walk alone better than others, but to some existent we all need someone else to understand our reason for being- "feel me?"lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I say that to say their are many different type of people drawn to the "coffee shop". True "heads" must be careful not to classify myself better that someone who clings hip hop/ neo-soul/ or a certain lifestyle for vain reasons- "you know what im saying?" This is coming from someone who used to scratch my graf name on the CTA window in route to school (careful not to get caught by the bus driver's or my little sisters eyes), and listened to Common long before it "made sense" to. As much as their are fakers out there, I think we have to stop being so judgmental in that regard. Don't get me wrong I think a lot of people "be fronting", but I feel like everyone's learning curve is different. Just because you don't know who Chinua Achebe is doesn't mean that you don't understand that 'things fall apart'. If they cant understand that, well then someone is not pushing forward and fulfilling their *legacy.

    When you you look at the 60's on the surface to have freedom riders, you have prolific speakers (who actually backed what they preached), and real gangsters (panthers). But that is what was needed. I think we are short changing ourselves to try and mimic those actions- so no! It is not the 60's! I think what we didn't see was the everyday, speaker, rider, and panther. As soon as I spit that self righteous 'lit' to my employer they are going to show me the door. So yeah I wear my tie, I have a korean starch my slacks, and wear a fake smile with matching enthusiasm. However, I also make sure I take the resources that I gain and share it with my community- in 60's like fashion. So yeah! It is the 60's! We don't honor MLK when we listen to his speech once a year, we honor him when we stay informed, and consider him, our forefathers, and our cousins on public aid and in jail in our everyday lives. Blacks with education have the obligation to make sure there is a bridge spanning the gap. Using proximity as a reason to not incorporate these feelings in our daily lives is something we cant accept. In the mist of it all this is a heavy burden, I do agree.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post, much love and respect.. peace.

    ReplyDelete