Thursday, January 13, 2011

I'm a giver; not a taker...

"Then Jesus sat down opposite the place where the offerings were put and watched the crowd putting their money into the temple treasury. Many rich people threw in large amounts. But a poor widow came and put in two very small copper coins, worth only a fraction of a penny. Calling his disciples to him, Jesus said, "I tell you the truth, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others. They all gave of their wealth, but she, out of her poverty, put in everything--all that she had to live in" -NIV Mark 12:41-44

Moving to Houston changed me forever. Immediately I understood what Southern Hospitality was, outside of what I learned from my immediate family's hospitable ways, and was given plenty of opportunities to show hospitality to others. During a hurricane I was housed by a then stranger's family; the young lady is now one of my closest friends. I housed a then acquaintance, who is now one of my close friends as well. FRANKLY, the only reason I was able to move to Houston was because of a close friend's hospitality. She probably gets tired of me thanking her! (lol...I LOVE YOU) The point of it all, is that the cycle of giving is a blessing!

I often inquire of myself, "Why do you give continuously, knowing that it may not be given in return?" The reality is that I enjoy being friendly and sweet. This is not to say that I don't have a malicious side; that "Darlene" is a doozy! But I quickly learned that the tighter I hold onto things, the harder they are to maintain. Everything I give with an open heart comes back to me tenfold. I'm still learning, but as I get better, my heart gets lighter! I've become grateful, not necessarily for the ability to give, but for the joyful heart I've developed as a result of giving.

Peace & Blessings,

Nina B.


No comments:

Post a Comment